Thursday, March 8, 2007

Dryer Balls

I always see adds for dryer balls in eco catalogues but never paid much attention. Then my wife got some from Gaiam (the manufacturer's site is more interesting) and we've been using them for probably a month now. Basically, the spiny oblong balls are supposed to do the job of fabric softener and decrease drying time. Believe it or not - it works! We haven't used fabric softener since using the balls and the laundry is comparably soft.

I have not gone to the extent of a side-by-side softness or drying time test, but there is no doubt that we're saving money and exposure to chemicals (not to mention all the upstream pollution avoided). One important thing we've learned since starting our kids in cloth diapers almost 3 years ago is that fabric softener seriously reduces cloth absorbency by literally gooing up the fabric. 'Stripping' them is a very water and energy intensive process. So another benefit to eliminating fabric softener is that our towels, and our workout clothes, are more absorbent.

I see that there are 3 or 4 other brands out there, and I read some mixed reviews on them. I did not find a review for the brand we have. I'll let you know what happens.

No comments: