Friday, December 1, 2006

The First

I want to discuss, hopefully with more than ... well ... myself, how a guy like me can keep working towards a sustainable existence while raising two small kids while living in the suburbs while working in foundries.

For the past 2+ years my absolute obsession has been by kids. My little man is now over 2 years old and is an absolute universe of fun, adventure, emotion, and amazement every day. My second, a little angel, is just over 2 months and has a heartbreaker's smile. My wife of 4.5 years is the engine and control system of our little spaceship of a family.

We live in an association in the suburbs of Fort Wayne, IN. Don't be impressed by "association". Our home is only 1350 sq. ft. with little attic and no basement. Our lot is something like 1/4 acre. The home is 4 years old and in good shape. Very little landscaping until we moved in in June and started tearing up the lawn.

Foundries. Are you starting to piece this non-sequitor blog title together? I work for a company that currently runs 5 gray and ductile iron foundries in the US. Foundries are of course widely (mis)understood and extremely dirty and polluting. Ok, they are dirty, and do pollute, but less than one might think. Less polluting, that is; they are usually quite dirty.

My intention in the forthcoming posts is to explore the challenges that my blog title invites, and hopefully solicit solutions for and discussions on those challenges.

No comments: