Sunday, December 24, 2006

Hemp is Good

Hemp has been a staple fabric for a certain group of friends since, oh, middle school I guess. Little did I know how green they were! Widely misunderstood and linked to the marijuana culture, hemp is actually an excellent material with many uses, and can't be smoked. Well, it won't get you high anyway!

Hemp (Cannabis Sativa) is one of the most intriguing plants humans have come into continued contact since and before the advent of agriculture. For thousands of years, right up until the 1900s, hemp was of critical value because it is a rapidly renewable resource that is capable of being grown all over the earth in varying climates and soil conditions. It is grown for textiles & fabrics, fuel, fiber, food, paper, medicine and more, making hemp one of the most valuable and beneficial crops humanity has been wise enough to take full advantage of...until now. -The Hempest

The Hempest has the largest variety I've found of reasonably-priced hemp products. I got a (Hempy's Beanie) hat from there for an early Christmas present and like it a lot. It's my first experience with hemp so I'll let ya'll know how it lasts.

My other fav hemp online store is Rawganique, which carries many other organic fabric items too.

To shop in real life, go to this mapmuse map of hemp clothing stores nationwide. I also keep this link over in my link list for future reference.

A few hemp species are even native wild forbs in this part of the world, so I've got some on order for delivery in the spring. Hopefully by next fall I'll have some dead stalks that I can try to harvest and weave. We'll see how that experiment goes....

In the days and weeks to come: organic cotton, bamboo, flax, coconut(?), who knows.

No comments: