Friday, December 15, 2006

PC Energy Use

I wrote before about a few ways to measure your energy usage. One user that you probably haven't thought too much about is the very thing you're looking at right now - your computer. Many people leave their PC powered up, on screen saver, when not in use. Multiply that usage by the number of computers in the US or world, and you're talking a huge amount of electricity. TreeHugger has been talking a bit about it lately, and in the post you'll find a link to a nice little energy calculator that will let you know how much you're expending.


2 Suggestions: power down when not in use, and set the monitor to turn itself off instead of going to screen saver.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tip AG! I have always left my computer on but my local computer supplier recently told me to turn it off while I'm not using it also. His motives are different though, he says that even though you're not using the computer just having it on will increase normal wear and tear on the parts. I realize that technology advances will render the part obsolete first but it's good information if you are like me. I think my cell phone is more advanced than some of my computers.

AGDubbs said...

Thanks JD for posting the first comment to my site! As a thank you, you're receiving a free lifetime subscription to this site - a priceless gift!

I'm not so sure wear and tear doesn't come into play before obsolescense. It seems to me that every computer I've ever used has slowed within a year or so - even right after system cleanups and tuneups.