Monday, December 4, 2006

The Start

I've been concerned about / interested in helping to protect the environment since probably elementary school. I was active in school organizations where we talked a lot and did just about nil, but my interest was always there. I planted 100+ trees as part of my eagle project. I decided to major in environmental chemistry in school. I got a job as an environmental engineer. I took a masters in environmental science and management. I've talked to kids about Earth Day and did water sampling with them.

So my formal studies and work, for the last 11 years (since high school), has been somehow related to environmental protection. Yet I still struggle every day to protect the environment.
A year ago, or so, I stumbled upon a blog at treehugger.com that kind of pushed me to the point where I'm really (finally!!) changing my focus and my habits. It's a good site with mainly really good posts. They present everything from dream-on-never-going-to-be-able-to-afford new inventions to anyone-can-do-this-at-home ideas. They present really-green things and just-a-little-bit-green things. The comments aren't filtered so you get honest and sometimes emotional views. Do I sound like an add for them? Yep. I think anyone who is interested in making a change in their life should view sites like theirs. If you want to make a change, and know how to find the url bar on your browser, you're smart enough to decode what is extreme and what is feasible for you.

The bottom line is that you don't have to be a vegan living in an off-grid straw-bale house and only motivate by bike to help the environment. Any little change you can make will help, and only the combination of those little changes by the masses will make the real nation- or world-wide differences we need. As you change, you'll learn. Then you'll change again, and learn some more. Before long, you'll seem like a real hippie to your neighbors. And before long, they'll be asking you how they can do those things too. Trust me, I'm experiencing it right now in my great little neighborhood with super nice people that just don't know how to change; they just need a little push and guidance.

No comments: