Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Chicken Little

Even with almost all of the skeptics now agreeing that global warming or climate change is real and is affected (at least to some extent) by human activity, there still exists a powerful minority of dissenters. I'm ashamed to read the comments (BBC News) of Daimler-Chrysler's chief economist, who has attacked "the quasi-hysterical Europeans" and their "chicken little attitute" towards global warming. He believes, and obviously will try to pursuade DCX, that little should be spent on greener efforts.
My view? I don't know and I don't really care if human activity is affecting the natural cycle of warming and cooling. We do KNOW that humans, and especially Americans, emit way more than we need to. So WHY NOT make changes that we KNOW will reduce our footprint? I'm not talking about going broke trying; I'm talking about making sensible investments that are proven to be sustainable (i.e. let you keep making money in the long run).
The next question: why are Europeans' and Americans' attitudes different? My question is: on what issues are their attitutes the same? Not many I think.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The only explanation I can think of, is that Europeans in the vast majority are not assailed by endless misinformation from the likes of Fox news and others who remain in denial. When a significant portion of the business world is in cahoots, well . . . the result is predictable. The public is divided.

I don't buy the idea that on the whole that the Europeans (with the possible exception of England, and parts of western Europe) have superior education. Perhaps the majority of Americans have been exposed in almost equal
force to both sides, despite the fact that science long since accepted the thesis that our footprint is the major pollutant (and presumably) a major factor in climate change.