Friday, January 12, 2007

Oak Farm Montessori

We were very surprised to find, just a short drive north of our house in Avilla, Indiana, a fantastic place called... "Oak Farm Montessori School and Oak Bridge Montessori Middle School provide a unique opportunity for each student to be at home in the world of nature. Strengthening a child’s connection with nature and the environment is an important part of our curriculum. We seek to give students, parents, and faculty a reverence for the earth, its waters, and all living things. We also encourage caring for the environment based on our individual responsibility for the beauty of the land and the health of our ecosystems. We believe that being at home in the world of nature is basic to being a whole and healthy person."


By that read, you're probably picturing some hippie teachers with dreads working in Quonset huts. Quite the contrary! I toured the school and it was amazing. It is located on an old farm, with a few buildings into which the different ages are segregated. I toured the youngest-age building, which is a renovated/added onto beautiful Victorian home. I was simply amazed at the facility and by watching the kids interact. I won't go into the Montessori methods, but I suggest you do if you have little ones or plan to.

Our application is to be submitted any day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi! I am relocating to Fort Wayne and considering Oak Farm Montessori for my son. Did you end up enrolling your child there? Could you please tell me a little bit more about your experience with the school? Thanks, Elena